Two Scenic Alaska Railroad Tours
The Coastal Classic & the Glacier Discovery Train
Kayak Around Icebergs
A serene and beautiful paddle to the glacier on Spencer Lake
Hike to the Glacier’s ‘Blue Wall’
For even more stunning views of Spencer Glacier
Gear & Lunch Provided
The perfect adventure for most fitness levels
Join the Glacier Blue Kayak & Grandview Train Tour for a day packed with adventure and awe-inspiring scenery! On this day tour from Anchorage, you will kayak around icebergs, hike to the glacier’s towering blue wall, and see breathtaking sights along your comfortable journey on the Alaska train. Your two Alaska railroad tours provide unparalleled views of the dramatic landscapes through the Chugach National Forest and Kenai Mountains. These include glaciers and waterfalls, mountain tunnels and canyons, as well as the rocky coastline of Turnagain Arm. Finally, these breathtaking sights in Alaska’s backcountry take you to the remote Spencer Glacier, which is only accessible by train. You’ll paddle around (and can even touch!) the massive icebergs while you kayak across the lake for incredible views of the glacier. Last but not least, a short guided hike to the glacier moraine offers more up-close views of the icy blue wall.
Please note: This tour can depart from Girdwood or Anchorage, so when contacting our reservations team, please indicate where you will be departing from.
Your Glacier Blue Kayak & Grandview Train Tour begins bright and early at the Anchorage Railroad Depot. But this extra effort brings great reward as the mornings at Spencer Lake offer calm waters which is ideal for a serene and beautiful paddle! After several hours of exploring Spencer Glacier, enjoy lunch next to the lake before boarding the Glacier Discovery train to Grandview. Many people claim this stretch to be the most scenic miles of all Alaska railroad tours! So have your camera ready as you travel to Grandview’s stunning glacial river valley and alpine meadows. This glacier and train adventure is sure to be one of your most memorable and exciting days in Alaska!
Glacier Blue Kayak & Grandview Train Tour Itinerary:
- 5:45 – 6:00 AM – Arrive at Anchorage Railroad Depot for check-in (tickets at Will Call)
- 6:45 AM – Coastal Classic Train departs Anchorage. Breakfast/coffee are available, but please let the onboard supervisor know that you will be getting off at Spencer Glacier and need to eat early.
- 8:00 AM – Guides board train at the Girdwood stop
- 9:00 AM – Train arrives at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
- 9:00 – 9:30 AM – Safety briefing and paddle instruction with your professional kayak guides
- 9:30 – 1:30 PM – Guided Spencer Lake kayaking around icebergs to Spencer Glacier, followed by a short hike to the ‘Blue Wall’ and then lunch.
- 1:55 – 5:15 PM – Glacier Discovery train ride to the stunning Grandview
- 5:15 PM – Train arrives in Portage, disembark to board motorcoach bus
- 6:45 PM – Arrive in Anchorage via motorcoach
For a similar tour that includes guaranteed wildlife sightings, check out the Bears, Trains, & Icebergs Tour! Or, for those that have their heart set on an in-depth glacier walk, then we recommend the Matanuska Glacier Hike Day Tour.
Girdwood guests can join this excursion, too! Please see FAQs.
There are no reviews yet.